Changes to the way we do Initial Item Values

Starting today, 3/26/2024, STKValues will be changing the way we do initial item valuations.

Typically, we require proof for all item values, as this is the only way to ensure the community that our values are coming from some sort of reality. However, I have noticed that requiring proofs, specifically when doing initial item evaluations, it often leads to us being really behind when releasing an update.

Due to this, from now on we will no longer be posting proof albums for INITIAL ITEM VALUES. We will still be using information from the trade servers, trade chats, and value requests to value them. Often times we cannot release initial item values due to lack of proofs, which leads to us taking quite a bit of time to get them out. This change should (hopefully) prevent that and allow us to get initial item values out much quicker than before.

Quick note: This is how we used to do things when the list was on the Google sheet, so this is nothing new for us. We are just reverting back to it.

Feel free to discuss your thoughts on this change, I would be happy to hear what you think!

Do you think that this change is a good one? (If not, please elaborate in a comment on this thread.)

• Yes
  • No
0 voters
10 Likes

(post deleted by author)

7 Likes

That isn’t the topic of this post, please make another post to talk about that.

6 Likes

Hmm, can WOC20 raise again? If WOC20 is possible I hope he raises again

6 Likes

7 Likes

7 Likes

Makes sense, this actually Will make the list way more accurate and Will prevent people getting sharked, like what happened with polclucky being 1.5m but getting like 800k as of right now, and getting 1.5m at a start thanks to the people getting overpays for the hype and not posting normal trades, because people just value req trades of their convenience and that made list innacurate, that postdata at the end finally Made me understand why the value list on the Google sheet were almost 100% accurate :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I’m excited for this change because now we can get values out within 24h of an update instead of a few days with albums just barely scrapped together. Sorry sharks, you’re gonna have a lot less time now : P

8 Likes

I mean, I favor this change overall for your list. Relying on putting initial values on items from the requests of the first 3 days isn’t a safe option.

However, there is still the issue of items with initial values eventually never getting their value changed despite it going for lower vs. trading for older items majority of the time, thus causing a correlation dilemma.

11 Likes

Fr bro, thats the why list is innacurate as of right now, THIS change Will make the list trustable again

7 Likes

There are only two solutions to that problem:

1. I update the value changer rules to allow value changers to change items without proof assuming the majority agree to the change.
  2. The community value requests more.

The issue with number 1 is that opens the list up to manipulation from the inside. (Not saying that would happen, it just makes it more possible than it is now.) I have seen some people would rather the value changers be able to change values without proofs if need-be, but I’m still on the fence about that.

7 Likes

I mean, THIS is such a Healthy change to the value list

8 Likes

So option 2 really can’t be made possible by your team because sadly not everyone is requesting as much as before, so it isn’t a real solution.

I get the issue with option 1, but with the size of your value changing team now, wouldn’t it be hard for inside manipulation? In my opinion, option 1 seems like the only real solution for efficient value changes, the only thing would have to be to maintain the trust of the value changers, but I’m sure that will be fine bc I don’t think they’d do that.

Just my opinions. Overall option 1 seems like the only best realistic solution to me.

6 Likes

@notmatt9429 Do you think this solution can be done whilst still maintaining trust with the community? Assuming we were to make that change and not require proofs at all, would people still believe the values we are posting to be accurate?

5 Likes

Thats a good point.

The thing is everywhere I go, in discord and in many Trade Servers everyday, I am always seeing people completely disregard the list’s values, like a lot have already stopped believing in the list’s numbers. It misinforms new traders of how truly valuable their items are. Since the list is meant to be a guide, putting numbers on value, it only makes sense that we go for option 1, being able to keep values accurate.

I feel like the list has less trust than ever before. It’s credible and most trusted in the community for sure, but most of its major values (fey, crim, meda, cdoc, calf, etc.) are rarely getting their listed values. I believe that yes, the community will keep their trust to see a list with accurate values, because it would reflect how they already trade.

Just opinions. @Jesse

5 Likes

I think the other issue is that with items like Fey, it’s tough for us to tell people that it’s getting Axe R and adds. The reality is, the knife is worth more. So, when we see manipulation or clear disregard to what an item should be worth, it is a tough call to make. Should we tell people what the item realistically should be worth? Or do we tell them the value that the trading community sets it at (regardless of how shitty that might be.) @notmatt9429

5 Likes

Yeah with that problem, which has been brought by dupes, is fr tricky.

Honestly, until they have a way to delete all dupes, I think what needs to happen, sadly, is to list the values as the community puts it, even tho it’ll be a shitshow. I feel it’ll bring ppl back to the list, and bring back what the list is for, to reflect and put a number on “what gets what.” Even though the “what can get what” is just sad rn, I think it’s necessary. At least, new traders would have a realistic idea of what their items are worth in the community.

It’s all really screwed up, but this seems to me like the only way to help the list

All my opinions. @Jesse

4 Likes

Maybe the answer is to raise axe r since it’s consistently pulling higher value items rather than lower the values of better items….just a thought

4 Likes

Or maybe there is actual foul play towards it.

You’ve forgotten how shitty of a trading history Axe R has for the last 2+ years.

I’ve seen so many people trade like savaged beasts with no cognitive thoughts to overtrade tf out of an Axe R and hope for someone else to OUTDO that. That legit creates a toxic ass trading cycle. Also, they would rather trade Fey for an Axe R and small add than any OTHER possible offers like x2 Blood Ruby and Woc20 OR x2 Fae and x1 Frostbreath 95/100 times.

That’s a manipulation flip scheme no matter the doubt. It’s one thing if it is scarce, but that shit gets offered off on a daily basis by multiple people.

Now tell me this, there’s no fucking shot that people would rather make shitty overpays for an Axe R than to do ANY OTHER TRADE for different items that they don’t have the damn patience to invest without toxic play involved.

Key word, Manipulation.

5 Likes

But that won’t work because Axer also gets lowballed. Nobody would give 2 arach for it, or 3 dds, etc. AxeR gets extremely lowballed and overpays. Same goes for almos every major item. Fey gets lowballed from lower items, and overpays from meda. Same with crim, Cdoc, Calf, Arach, DDS, etc.

What is reality is that almost every single big item needs to drop, a lot. To actually reflect what trading community trades for.

5 Likes